Search an Individual
Training Support Package (TSP) for the Marine Battle Skills Test (BST)
TASK: Search an individual
CONDITION: Given an individual, assigned weapon
STANDARD: Identifying all unauthorized material or threats to friendly forces.
ESTIMATED TIME TO TRAIN: 15 minuets
ESTIMATED TIME TO TEST: 10 minutes per Marine
- Conduct a hasty search
- Conduct a detailed search
- MCWP 3-11.1 Marine Rifle Company/Platoon
- MCWP 3-11.2 W/CH1 Marine Rifle Squad
- MCWP 3-11.3 Scouting and Patrolling
SUPPORT REQUIREMENTS: Service rifle and role-player
PERFORMANCE STEP 1: Conduct a hasty search.
Hasty Search. A hasty search is a quick body search or frisk. A hasty search is used as a preliminary search to detect weapons that might be used against the searcher.
PERFORMANCE STEP 2: Conduct a detailed search.
Detailed Search. A detailed search is a more meticulous and thorough search for weapons and contraband. The search should follow a logical sequence from top to toe. Using both hands for the search, the search-man should not pat the individual but rather use a stroking movement. Metal detectors or other devices such as biometric scanners may aid the search man. The following areas should be carefully checked:
- The hair (in or under hats)
- Inside legs
- Any medical dressings
- Any carried bags or cases
- Walking sticks, umbrellas, and crutches
Searching Females. Always ensure the same gender conducts the search. If a female is not available use medical personnel, members of a clergy, or senior officer as last resort.
Duties of the Search Marine:
- Halt detainee
- Instruct detainee by commanding simple and direct orders in the local language
- Whenever possible restrain the detainee prior to conducting a search
- Search from head to feet
Duties of the Cover Marine:
- Provides cover for the search Marine
- Discourages escape and resistance
- Discourages hostile interference
- Alerts the search man of threats
- Resists distractions and maintains target acquisition
- Assesses threats constantly and prepares for the unexpected
Search an individual
MARINE BEING EVALUATED:
SUPPORT REQUIREMENTS: Service rifle, role-player
EVALUATOR NOTE: Marines must demonstrate all performance steps to pass this event. The evaluator will guide the Marine through the checklist by asking questions.
|Performance Step||Instructor Notes||Pass or Remediate|
|1. Conduct a hasty search.||Marine should demonstrate a quick body search or frisk to detect weapons.
|2. Conduct a detailed search.||Marine should a detailed search carefully checking the following areas:
1. Hair (in or under hats/headwear)
4. Any medical dressings
5. Any carried bags or cases
6. Walking sticks, umbrellas, and crutches
|3. Report unauthorized materials to higher.||Marine should state three of the following unauthorized materials:
2. Homemade explosives
3. Fertilizer over the allowed limit
4. Radio transmitter parts and rudimentary circuit boards
5. Large amounts of batteries